Ok, so here’s a fun little post. I decided to pick my ten favourite quotes ever. I read A LOT and there are often those lines where you have to stop for a moment and go over the words again and you just think, ‘yeah, that’s good writing!’
I love when I have mini versions of those moments with my own writing as well. I’ll be writing away like a maniac, hands dancing over the keyboard and all of a sudden I have to stop after a particular line and I think, yup, this is what I’m supposed to be doing. And for a few moments you’re sure of yourself, sure that you are a good writer.
Anyhow, the best quotes encapsulate the essence of a book, the feeling and what is going to happen. They take you back to what you felt like when you read that book for the first time.
So here’s my top ten!
(1) Jane Eyre - ‘I am no bird, no net
me; I am a free human being with an independent will.’
(2) Pride and Prejudice – ‘She is tolerable; but not handsome enough to tempt me; I am in no humour to give consequence to young ladies who are slighted by other. You had better return to your partner and enjoy your smiles, for you are wasting your time with me.’
(3) Harry Potter and the Order of the Phoenix – “It is time,” he said, “for me to tell you what I should have told you five years ago, Harry. Please sit down. I am going to tell you everything. I ask only a little patience. You will have your chance to rage at me – to do whatever you like – when I have finished. I will not stop you.”
(4) Wuthering Heights – ‘If all else perished, and he remained, I should still continue to be; and if all else remained, and he were annihilated, the universe would turn to a mighty stranger: I should not seem a part of it.’
(5) Inkheart – ‘Some books should be tasted, some devoured, but only a few should be chewed and digested thoroughly.’
(7) The Luxe
- ‘As she always did on any really important day, Penelope Hayes wore red.’
(8) A Great and Terrible Beauty – ‘How I’d love to get away from here and be someone else for a while in a place where no one knows or expects certain things of me.’
(9) The Return of Captain John Emmett – ‘None of us were brave, ever,’ said Byers. ‘Bravery’s when you’ve got a choice.’
(10) Twilight – ‘I’ve decided that as long as I was going to Hell, I might as well do it thoroughly.’
So what about you? What are your favourite quotes? They can be anything, not just quotes from novels, but music and film as well. Or perhaps one of your own quotes?
Comment below with your favourites!